Match Report: Senior Football Championship Round 5

Old failings come back to haunt our seniors

Full Time:
Donaghmore Ashbourne 1-08
St. Peter’s Dunboyne 1-11

Half Time:
Donaghmore Ashbourne 1-05
St. Peter’s Dunboyne 0-05

Although already qualified for the knock out stages of the championship our senior team travelled to Pairc Tailteann on Saturday afternoon knowing that a win over St. Peter’s Dunboyne would continue our winning streak, set down a marker for the remainder of the competition and avoid a preliminary quarter final game. Playing the Dunboyne lads was always going to be a tough physical encounter and would test our lads but unfortunately as our supporters made the return trip back through Kentstown there is still evidence that our old failings are still there.

In summary, when the game was in the melting pot too many of our players failed to perform to their ability, many went hiding and we lacked leaders to get us over the line. Yes, underfoot conditions were slippy, the ball was like a bar of soap at times and there were some questionable reffing decisions but the harsh reality is that our lads particularly in the second half were bullied and pressed and we didn’t deserve the victory and rolled over.

Both sides traded points in the opening minute with Cathal Field pointing for Donaghmore Ashbourne with St. Peter’s replying with a move from the resulting kick out. The sides traded scores again with Dunboyne going into the lead on 10 minutes and Field replying again on 12 minutes to restore parity. A point from David Morgan gave Donaghmore Ashbourne the lead by a single point at the end of the first quarter. Dylan Brady extended the Donaghmore Ashbourne lead with a point on 18 minutes and although the Moors did have plenty of possession we failed to covert this into scores. A free on 19 minutes and a point from play on 21 minutes drew the sides level for the third time in the game. Cathal Field was replaced by Aidan Hughes on 22 minutes as Field received a Black Card.
In the closing period of the half St. Peter’s regained the lead with a free on 25 minutes but Donaghmore Ashbourne drew level again when Dylan Brady pointed following a quick free. It looked as if the sides were going to head to the dressing room at the interval level but Dylan Brady scored a great goal with the last kick of the half to leave Sean Kelly’s side 1-05 to 0-05 ahead.
Getting a goal in a very tight game just at the right time should have been the platform for Donaghmore Ashbourne to come out and push on and close out the game and when Bryan Menton pointed within a restart this looked on. We had a number of chances to extend this lead following this score, possibly to 7 points but our attempts fell into the short and wide categories. This was the turning point of the game as we paid the price as St. Peter’s reduced the deficit with two frees on 33 and 35 minutes and then took the lead with a goal on 42 mins. A Michael Deegan free on 43 mins did bring the sides level again but Dunboyne regained the lead with a point from the resulting kick out within a minute of our score. With their tails up St. Peter’s pushed on in the closing period and extended the lead to three with points on 54 and 60 minutes. Another Deegan free in injury time reduced the deficit to 2 points but this was cancelled out with a fisted effort before the whistle was blown.

Overall a disappointing performance considering our position at the interval and it should be worrying for our players and management that in tight close games our old failings are still there. Hopefully we can learn from this as all remaining games will have us in similar positions.

Donaghmore Ashbourne: J. Hannigan, J.P. Casserly, J. Coglan, S. Curran, D. Mc Govern, S. Melia, P. Gilligan, B. Menton (0-1), C. Carey, C. Field (0-2), C. Carton, A. Tormey, D. Brady (1-02) , D. Morgan (0-1), M Deegan (0-2) (2f).
Subs: A. Hughes for Field (BC), C. Ellis for Casserly, J. Giles for Gilligan.